Opening Night at Paramount Pictures Studios-
Los Angeles has proved itself as one of the leading food destinations in the US, just over a year critics worldwide have applauded the wide ranging food destinations that many are raving about. LA Times “The Taste” brings you their award winning food writers, critics, and editors joined by internationally renowned chefs from Los Angeles and beyond. Together they will bring the Taste visitor a series of events, each with its own authentic flavor. The historic Paramount Pictures Studio City Lot will host this three day event over Labor Day weekend. Here in a grand setting for a celebration most look forward to annually for the opportunity to discover an array of epicurean delights that make Los Angeles such a culture rich dining destination.
For the Taste’s special opening night -The Times’ hosts along with many of the weekend’s participating chefs and bartenders focused a collection of tastings, distinctive cocktail and wine offerings, and live entertainment from Black Crystal Wolf Kids. Opening night was not offered to many, yet boasted a more intimate crowd. Cathy Griffin stepped out onto the red carpet along with the evening’s hosts: LA Times Test kitchen director -Noelle Carter, Michael Cimarusti- owner of Providence, LA Times food editor- Russ Parsons, Mixologist genius- Julian Cox, Acclaimed Food Critic -Jonathan Gold, Restaurateur & Co-Owner of Osteria Mozza- Nancy Silverton, Deputy Editor for LA Times- Betty Hallock, and Southwest renowned Chef- John Sedlar.
Some of the restaurants we tasted during opening night were: Jitlada Thai Cuisine, The Restaurant at Mr. C Beverly Hills, TART, Sun Café, THE Blvd Restaurant, Hinoki & the Bird, Fred 62, Hamasaku and more. To see the full list of LA Times- the Taste Opening Night exhibitors click here http://events.latimes.com/taste/opening-night
In order here were our top 10 bites and 5 favorite sips of the Opening Night of Taste LA:
1. Winner – Plan Check- the Mini Southern Fry, Smokey fried chicken, green pimento cheese, duck breast ham, spicy pickles, on a mini crunch bun
2. Second runner up- Phorage- lemon grass chicken, phokin wings
3. Third Place- Chichen Itza Restaurant- pulled pork (Cochinita Pibil) with picked cabbage and avocado
4. Hinoki & The Bird- Miso Donuts
5. The Church Key- Crispy Halibut Taco
6. Waterloo & City- Squid ink brioche, crab, and avocado
7. The Whisper Restaurant and Lounge- Smoked duroc pork cheek with candied cabbage, fried apple puree, and black vinegar sauce
8. Café Del Rey- Gazpacho, Salmon Tartare, and duck confit gyro
9. Alma- English Muffin with Smoked Salmon
10. Tanzy- meat balls, cauliflower burrata salad, and orecchiette
1. Winner-The Counter- Moonshine Milkshakes, Stillhouse Moonshine Apple Crisp, Apple Crumble, and Vanilla Ice-cream
2. Stoli- The Elit Martini Dirty
3. Stella Artois – beer garden all of it!!!!
4. Miche Mobil- a Michelada Mobile VW van pouring Micheladas
5. Kirin Ichiban-beer slushies’
We applaud all the hard working chefs who create such wonderful dishes made with heart and talent- one little bite is gone in a few seconds compared to the time and effort it takes to prepare and create wonderful tastes. Thank you!