Vinny Dotolo and Jon Shook
Voted best new chefs in 2009 via Food & Wine, and owners of Animal on Fairfax which opened in 2008 brings Son of A Gun on 3rd Street in 2013.
Son of A Gun
Son of A Gun is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. There is nothing on the menu that is not salty and prepared perfectly. Although living two blocks from the restaurant, I had not dined at this Southern, seafood spot until the end of 2013 due to all the lines, and log wait list of visitors. Son of A gun – a first come first serve restaurant with a menu listing of raw, shellfish, fish, meat, seasonal, and snack section – most will do anything just to sit at the bar top.
I learned after those long waits… that the best time to visit Son of A Gun for those famous bites is during lunch hour. I changed and moved all my daytime meetings to this Travel and Leisure voted Best Seafood Restaurant.
To those who are visiting for the first time- Here are just a few of the best things on the menu-
- RAW- Yellowfin Tuna Tataki, white boy kimchi
- SHELLFISH- Lobster Roll, celery, lemon aioli
- MEAT- fried chicken sandwich, spicy b&b pickle slaw, rooster aioli
- SHELLFISH- cup of frank’s chowder, bacon, crouton
- SHELLFSIH- shrimp toast sandwich, herbs, hoisin, sriracha mayo
- FISH- smoked mahi fish dip, celery, radish, crackers
- SEASONAL- citrus, avocado, watercress, spring onion
- SNACKS- Kennebec French fries, malt vinegar aioli
- MEAT- Broadbent’s country ham, honey butter, hush puppy
- SEASONAL- crispy Brussels sprouts, Chinese sausage, cinnamon, peanut, egg
Son of A Gun has a martitime feel, vintage sea scraps, and exudes a feel of an old seafood restaurant with a modern twist. The waiters look scruffy and the simple touches of the restaurant are ocean inspired chic. Son of a Gun restaurant try it once and it will be on your top ten favorite places to dine list.
Best Bite- hands down- SHELLFISH- Lobster Roll, celery, lemon aioli. I could order 10 of these in a row, but at $8.00 a pop I have to hold back.Son of A Gun 8370 W. 3rd Street Los Angeles, CA 90048
Join the discussion One Comment
Tha’ts the best answer of all time! JMHO